Georgia Department of Transportation releases updates on I-285 / I-20.
Georgia Department of Transportation's I-285/I-20 East Interchange project will improve traffic flow and safety at this busy interchange. This critical junction leading to and from Stonecrest requires operational and geometric improvements to address inefficient flow of traffic and safety performance.
Lane Closure Advisory on the I-285/I-20 East Interchange Project
WHAT: Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) Contractors will install overnight lane closures on Interstate 20 (I-20) in DeKalb County this weekend to continue a resurfacing project from Columbia Drive to the Rockdale County line. When complete, this resurfacing project will produce a smoother ride for drivers while also improving the condition of the deteriorating roadway. On-site signage will alert drivers approaching the area of the closures in advance. Drivers are advised to plan additional travel time and/or identify alternate routes to avoid the traffic delays related to these closures. For daily traffic impacts and real-time traffic alerts, please visit Georgia NaviGAtor at www.511ga.org.
Friday, February 23, through Friday, March 1, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. (Daily)
- Single left lane and left shoulder closure on I-20 eastbound from Columbia Drive (MM 66.8) to I-285 (MM 67.4)
Friday, February 23, through Friday, March 1, from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. (Nightly)
- Single left lane and left shoulder closure on I-285 northbound from Columbia Drive (MM 47) to Snapfinger Road (MM 45)
- Single left lane and left shoulder closure on I-285 southbound from Snapfinger Road (MM 45) to Columbia Drive (MM 47)
Saturday, March 2nd through Sunday, March 3rd (Daily/Nightly)
- I-20 westbound between Wesley Chapel Road, Mile Marker (MM) 68 and the I-20/I-285 Interchange (MM 67)
- 6 a.m. until 1 p.m., two left lanes will be closed. Both ramp lanes from I-20 westbound to I-285 northbound will remain open during this time.
- 1 p.m. until 6 p.m., the two right lanes of I-20 westbound will be closed. A single lane closure will also be installed on the ramp from I-20 westbound to I-285 northbound.
- 6 p.m. until 1 a.m. Sunday, March 3, one lane will be closed on I-20 westbound between Wesley Chapel Road and the interchange.
Lane closures help ensure safety for workers and drivers through the project area as crews continue milling, inlay and resurfacing to improve the deteriorating roadway.
Advisory: Exact times may change due to weather conditions. There may be intermittent traffic pacing and lane and ramp closures that occur within the work zone in addition to this notice. Motorists are advised to expect delays, exercise caution, reduce their speed while traveling through work zones, stay alert, and watch for workers. Before heading out, get real-time information on work status and traffic conditions. Call 511, visit 511ga.org, or download the Georgia 511 app.
To learn more about the I-285/I-20 project, click here to visit GDOT's website.
GDOT's Public Outreach Meetings schedule can be viewed here